One of the many interest groups who have sent mass surveys to council candidates is the Wellington Housing Trust. They sent a survey on housing affordability to all candidates for Wellington City Council on Wednesday 22 September 2010.
Candidates were told that the Wellington Housing Trust will call on the new Council to:
- Work with central government to grow community housing organisations in Wellington so we can meet some of the increasing housing needs – both in home ownership and affordable rental.
- Change consent processes and development contributions for community housing organisations so we can increase our housing provision.
- Offer any appropriate surplus Council owned land to community housing organisations for the provision of affordable housing.
Candidates were then asked the following two questions:
- Do you believe housing affordability is an issue in Wellington City?
- If so what do you think should be done to address this issue?
The full survey document, together with candidate responses, can be downloaded here.
[Update: We’ve been provided with an updated version of the survey, which now includes the responses from Celia Wade-Brown and Ingrid Sage]